The contemporary village of Albion is located in the Town of Lincoln in the State of Rhode Island. It didn’t begin as a village, but rather as a few farms and homesteads along what is now Old River Road. Deeds and genealogies examined so far show land ownership as early as 1683. Pole banners now proclaim 1823 as the year the “mill” village was established, which is true only in the sense that a cotton mill was erected along the Blackstone River in 1822 and that the land that the mill acquired would soon be used to house its workers. It would be several more years before the population of Albion would be such as to justify its place in the world as a village.
While much has been written about the cotton mill and its owners, little has been documented about the first settlers of Albion and how their and their descendants’ land purchases and property transfers influenced the development of the village. To the extent that anything has been written about Albion, little or none of it can be traced to primary and secondary sources. It will be the purpose of this site to correct that oversight.